It’s here! It’s finally arrived! With the start of the real-life NFL season, we also get the start of Fantasy Football season! With that start, come our weekly staff rankings.
Each week I will be bringing you a reaction and observation article regarding how our senior staff ranks the running backs. Which backs are rising, which ones are falling, and which ones we do not agree upon.
These rankings and observations will help guide you into our thought process and who we think will have a big week.
Between our rankings, reactions, start/sit and DFS articles, we aim to provide you what amounts to a weekly draft kit. This way you are fully prepared to make any sort of lineup decisions.
Let’s get to the running back rankings reaction then, shall we?
Week 1 Running Back Rankings Reaction
Obviously the biggest question mark of the week is the Kansas City backfield. Jamaal Charles is most likely not going to be ready by Sunday, and hence the dramatic fall in the rankings.
After the next update, he will drop out of my rankings as well, leaving him unstartable. With that said, Spencer Ware shoots up into RB2 territory. I’ll be the highest on him, as I see him as the 10th best back this week.
The other player to keep an eye on in this situation is Charcandrick West. While it seems like Spencer Ware will start, I would not be surprised if West gets a fair share of touches as well. Both of these guys should be great starts as cheap values in DFS leagues.
— NFL Fantasy Football (@NFLfantasy) September 6, 2016
The other development this week is the release and subsequent re-signing of Justin Forsett by the Ravens. Only with the muddled and convoluted NFL salary cap does this make sense.
A team deems a player worthy of release, only to resign him with a different contract. Either way, Forsett is supposedly the starter in the crowded Ravens’ backfield. Terrance West became the hot name in camp, while Javorius Allen was the guy who took over the lead role after Forsett went down last year.
Then there is the rookie Kenneth Dixon, who some see as the most likely starter when he gets back. Luckily I did not draft any of these guys and do not play on using them in daily lineups at all. This might be the most crowded and cloudy backfield situation I can remember since I started playing Fantasy Football 15 years ago.
The last running back situation heavily in the news is Seattle. Christine Michael is getting the start, but Thomas Rawls will still get touches. Of course, they have all of the rookies they took as well. Just like the Ravens, I am staying away all of these backs.
How will Seahawks split workload with Thomas Rawls, Christine Michael? https://t.co/crBcxs2Rd6
— ESPN NFL Nation (@ESPN_NFLNation) September 8, 2016
- There’s some disagreement at the top, as I have Ezekiel Elliott as the best option and everyone else has Todd Gurley.
- I, again, am lowest on David Johnson. I am actually the lowest on him in pre-season ranks of any expert at Fantasy Pros consensus running back rankings. This is either going to make me look like a genius or a buffoon.
- No surprise here, but Danny Woodhead shoots up the most in the PPR running back rankings, 28th to 16th. I am the highest on him as I have him as the 8th best PPR option this week.
- The player with the second biggest discrepancy between rankers not already mentioned is Matt Jones. John La Presto has him 18th overall and David Gonos has him 32nd.
- The biggest discrepancy is with DeAngelo Williams. This time it’s flipped: Gonos is highest at 3rd while La Presto is lowest at 22nd. I have Williams as the 12th best back this week, so I side with Gonos.
- I think we might all be a little low on James White. No one has him above 30th, even in PPR. Jimmy Garoppolo will utilize his check downs a lot in his first start against a great Arizona secondary.
That’s it for this week! Be sure to check out our other rankings reactions as well as our DFS content!
- Early Look Ahead to the 2019 Fantasy Football Season - December 31, 2018
- Week 14 DFS Strategy: Deciphering the New Starting Running Landscape - December 9, 2018
- Week 13 DFS Strategy : The Quest For 170 Points And A Win - December 1, 2018