Rob Gronkowski scored his 69th career touchdown, setting a New England Patriots franchise record. The Buffalo Bills showered the field today with an item to help him celebrate.
Yes, Week 8 was another wild ride for Fantasy owners and yes those Bills’ fans are a cheeky bunch. I do need to say something though, last week I had a mini rant about London games and this week it is letting a game end in a tie.
Owners either love or hate it based on who they have playing but for the NFL it hurts the product. Let the players play until there is a winner. Now back to Fantasy. To my dismay the Carolina Panthers have found their defense once again.
Well, either that or the Arizona Cardinals’ offense and Carson Palmer are just that bad. It may be a combination of both but it may be time to sit everyone for the Cards sans David Johnson. As for the Panthers, they need to consistently prove that their defense can do this before owners should be worried.
Now let’s get into the rest of the Week 8 Fantasy Football headlines.
Week 8 Fantasy Football Headlines
Just Win Baby
I will give a fellow writer props, John LaPresto made a great call back in June and now Derek Carr looks like an elite quarterback.
— Because JohnLaPresto (@TheJohnLaPresto) October 30, 2016
Carr posted 513 passing yards and four touchdowns in a 30-24 overtime thriller. Considering how slow the offense started (three points at halftime), this is a truly exceptional performance. I know some owners were worried about him after a poor performance against the Kansas City Chiefs. That was the exception to the rule due to the bad weather.
Carr should be considered as a Top 5 quarterback from here on out. For those wondering about the running game, do not bother playing any running back. They are flex option at best as this team will live and die by Carr’s arm.
Tom Brady had 315 passing yards and four touchdown. Chris Hogan, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, and Rob Gronkowski all scored. LeGarrette Blount sprinkled in a one-yard touchdown that all added up to a Patriots tour de force.
Rex Ryan has conceded the division to the Patriots and owners should concede the fact that Brady will score 20 points every week. Since coming back from suspension, Brady has hooked up with Gronk for an otherworldly stat line of 21 catches for 473 yards and three touchdowns.
Yes, the Patriots are going into a bye but if there are any players on the waiver, scoop them up and do not forget about Dion Lewis. He will be a good pickup but could also dilute the value of Blount and fellow back James White.
P.S…. it is hard not to admire Brady lumbering down the field as he runs. Simply glorious.
Running Back Woes
Spencer Ware has a concussion, Mark Ingram continues to struggle, and Jacquizz Rodgers went out late. Charcandrick West filled in admirably for Ware and Tim Hightower had a great game after replacing Ingram.
Rodgers is a bit more worrisome because they will play Thursday night and both him and Doug Martin do not look like they will be ready to play. Pick up Hightower and West if possible, and avoid the Bucs backfield until Martin or Rodgers are healthy.
Rapid Fire Headlines
- A.J. Green look uncoverable, getting the best of Josh Norman all day and Tyler Eifert is finally healthy. The Bengals’ offense is rising fast.
- It may not be the hottest take at this point, but Matt Ryan is playing the quarterback position better than everyone but Tom Brady.
- I was high on Trevor Siemian for the first couple of weeks, but now their offense worries me. They are boring, bland, and predictable. Defenses have tape on Siemian and they have figured out how to stop him. This will be a problem for owners, so sell Broncos’ players if you can.
- Week 6 Fantasy Football Storylines To Watch: The North Remembers - October 17, 2017
- Week 5 Fantasy Football Storylines To Watch: Giant Injuries Galore! - October 13, 2017
- Week 5 Fantasy Football Stock Watch: Rookies Amaze - October 5, 2017